Be sure you find a loan that fits your needs with these comprehensive questions. Feel free to print this out and take with you to your lender.
1. What are the most popular mortgage loans you make? Why?
2. Which type of mortgage plan do you think would be best for me/us? Why?
3. Are your rates, terms, fees, and closing costs negotiable?
4. Will I have to buy private mortgage insurance? If so how much will it cost and how long will it be required? NOTE: PMI is usually required if you make less than 20% downpayment, but most lenders will let you discontinue the policy when you've acquired a certain amount of equity by paying down the loan.
5. Who will service the loan? Your bank or another company?
6. What escrow requirements do you have?
7. How long is your loan lock-in period (the time that the quoted interest rate will be honored)? Will I be able to obtain a lower rate if they drop during this period?
8. How long will the loan approval process take?
9. How long will it take to close the loan?
10. Are there any charges or penalties for prepaying the loan?